I'd love to see you over at my new blog My Bird Flying Free

Monday, July 11, 2011

Butterflies at Craft Room Challenge


It's mine turn to chose the challenge over at Craft Room Challenge and for this fortnight I've chosen the Theme Butterflies.
I chose the theme after stumbling across this quote by Prevo Levi (1919-1987) he was a writer, chemist and survivor of Auschwitz.

"The butterfly's attractiveness derives not only from colors and symmetry:deeper motives contribute to it. We would not think them so beautiful if they did not fly, or if they flew straight and briskly like bees, or if they stung, or above all if they did not enact the perturbing mystery of metamorphosis:the latter assumes in our eyes the value of a badly decoded message, a symbol, a sign."

With my butterfly piece I wanted to capture some of the mystery, hope and sometimes despair of the world we live in.

I prepped my canvas with some pretty paper, gessoed and then with ink drew the lady. I've then painted with gouache. The butterflies as well as being in the background have been cut with the SU Bigz Die Beautiful Butterflies. They are cut and stamped mostly in Vellum. I also cut some smaller butterflies using the Beautiful Wings Die.

I can't wait to see what you all create :-)

8 comments:

hazel said...

I love your canvas Debi - it's beautiful.
xxx Hazel.

Nikki Byrne said...

Wow Debi this is just gorgeous! I love the butterflies at the top would be great to get a closer view of them :o) Great project and theme . Nikki

Dolly Daydreams said...

Great choice the butterflies. Fabulous canvas very touching piece. Great use of colour and very inspirational.

Marie

Mervi said...

Hei Debi,thanks for the great theme!
Lovely project and writing;-))m

Maria said...

Such a beautiful quote Debi and a stunning canvas! Maria x

Kim B said...

Just love this canvas and quote. Beautiful. Kim xx

Gerri Herbst said...

dear Debi,
fabulous piece with wonderful emotional draw!lovely butterflies. take care, gerri

Esther said...

Hi Debbi - sorry i'm so late getting round..your canvas is just perfect...wish I could draw/paint free hand -I need a stamp to colour in! Hope you've had a good weekend...Esther xx